Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Did someone mention WiFi repeaters?

R D S wrote:

I don't know why but I never get results searching for stuff with
Thunderbird, maybe i've downloaded too much....

Anyway, i've a WiFi repeater (sub 10 quid cheapo from eBay), since using
it having no end of bother.
It works OK initially but i'll go away for a time, come back, find that
there's no internet and the repeater itself needing a hard reset and as
often as not the PC will need a reboot too.
(I'm being thick here, but if it's set to repeat, should I still be able
to log into it via lan using its IP?)

Provided it has got its own unique IP on your lccal subnet, probably
defined by your main router, yes. You can probably either use DHCP
provided by the router or set it yourself if you know what IP to use.

Are more expensive branded ones likely to be better?

maybe

Or do I need to learn how to use it properly WRT IPs and DNS and such?

Yes, but you can probably set it to leave all that to your router.
--

Roger Hayter