Posted to alt.home.repair
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Heat pump SEER rating

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 01:47:41 +0100, trader_4 wrote:

On Tuesday, October 22, 2019 at 8:32:32 PM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 08:29:13 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 22/10/2019 07:29, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 21/10/2019 20:20, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why can't I find a heat pump with a good SEER rating? The USA has a
law stating 13 minimum. Yet here in the UK, I looked at Panasonic and
they're all 7 to 11!

Its a longitude thing. High ratings are only achieved between about 70
and 120 degrees west.
A bit like music power really.

I'll bet that in the USA they may not be quoting the spec for heating,
just cooling

The USA has snowy parts does it not? Have they not realised you can reverse those AC units?

Sure, we have heat pump systems here. But not in the really snowy parts
though, because it gets too cold and the heat pump systems don't perform
well,

How cold? Aren't they as good as freezers, which get to -20C or less domestically, and commercial huge ones way lower.

other solutions, eg nat gas or oil are used. And I don't mean
super cold places either. In the NYC area, for example, I've never
encountered a heat pump system. There are a very small, insignificant
number, but AFAIK, only ones using geothermal, not air ones.
They are common in the southern parts of the country.