Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.sailing
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Painting for a good finish

On 25/10/2019 21:50, Vir Campestris wrote:
I'm just cursing foam "gloss paint" rollers after putting a coat of
paint on the bottom of my boat.

The finish is glossy like an orange - sort of shiny, but with lots of
little pits.

Is there a roller made that does a decent job? I've seen a suggesting to
roll it on, then lay it off with a foam brush. Does that work?

I don't want to have to wet sand an entire boat too many times, and that
two-pot paint is too expensive to use too many time.

Andy

From
http://www.mbfgfiles.co.uk/datasheet...aintmanual.pdf
Aimed at painting a boat.

page 13

€¢ Small diameter felt and closed cell foam rollers are recommended for a
better quality finish.

€¢ In all cases use the crisscross technique to distribute the paint
evenly.

€¢ After applying by roller, laying off the paint with a brush or pad
will give an improved finish.

page 90

Fish Eyes €“ small holes in the paint film

€¢ Appears during painting due to silicone or oil contamination on the
surface.[1]

Abrade back until contaminated area can be degreased, allow to dry and
recoat.

AND

Orange Peel €“ surface mottled like orange skin

€¢ Primarily occurs when spraying due to poor flow caused by poor
atomisation, insufficient thinning, paint applied too thickly or
over-coated too soon. Can also occur with some roller applications.

Abrade back to an even flat surface and re-coat.If using a roller, it
may be necessary to lay off using a brush or pad after roller application.

[1] from page 9

Pre-Cleaning
Hempels Pre-Clean is a high strength cleaner and degreaser for
pre-cleaning gelcoat and painted surfaces in order to remove fuel, oil,
grease, waxes and silicones. You should use this before painting, and
for deep cleaning.