Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Neon John Neon John is offline

Default spark generator demo

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 10:38:57 -0400, Jim Horton
wrote:

That being said, I would have *never* tried this feat with a Tesla coil
I own. Actually, more of a "violet ray" generator-- a portable hand
held Tesla coil to check for vacuum leaks and such or for demos. That
one, I bought new. It would have greatly interfered plugged into the
same outlet as everything else and only produces 2" sparks but at a much
higher frequency.

That is not a Tesla coil. It is an Oudin coil. Much different
principle of operation. Take the bottom off one and the way it works
will be evident.

Unlike a well designed Tesla coil which won't shock you, that Oudin
coil will. Hard!

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com