Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Laundry platform

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 14:15:14 +0000, Spalted Walt
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Friday, October 25, 2019 at 8:32:52 PM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:
On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 15:17:01 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 15:16:27 +0000, Spalted Walt
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 11:52:30 AM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:
"Gramps' shop" wrote:

The boss has asked me to build a riser for the front-loading washer and dryer. Easy. But how do I get the machines up on the platform? There’s gotta be a trick that one of you guys can share.

Attach your homemade pedestals first, then...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8PMv3_YkEw&t=146s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUED5JCK8_4&t=131s

Any homemade pedestal better be built strong enough to handle ~250 pounds
on the side as the machine is tilted upwards.

To use that method, it would have to be way overbuilt for it's end purpose.

Doable of course, builder just needs to be aware.

Pretty sure even these 'butt joint & pocket screwed' fugly beasts
would be strong enough, once the remaining 3/4" skins are glued &
screwed on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piXXXpIniRw
At LEAST 50% overkill. I'd say 100% - possibly 200%. A 3/4" fir
plywood box WITHOUT the 2X4s would be strong enough if properly glued.
1/2 inch plywood glued to 2X2 frame would also be overkill if properly
built

People grossly underestimate the strength of a box. I sometimes to
freak people out by laying a piece of plywood on top of an empty
corrugated box and using it for a step stool. I'm pushing 300 pounds
and the box, if it's in good condition, doesn't move at all.

Take that same box and use it in the manner shown in the video.

Let's us know how well it handles a 250 lb washing machine, at an angle,
with all the weight on one edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liIlW-ovx0Y

... sorry, I couldn't resist

You're missing the point.