Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Did anyone else know that it is Boiler Switch On Week?

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 19:19:26 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 24/10/2019 01:14, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 22:10:17 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

snip

TRVs and single room stat only run the system while that one room is too
cold. Once it heats up, the whole system stops, even if other rooms are
too cold. The whole system only runs or stops at the same times of day.

Yup. ;-(

Timer/stat per room allows each room to have different times as well as
temperatures, runs while any room is too cold and shuts down boiler and
pump when there is no demand.

Yup. So, more complexity than TRV / no room stat arrangement and
energy wasted on the valves, if electric?

Hardly complex.

We will see.

Each timer/stat simply switches a valve.

So, extra timer/stats and special valves. How many parts in each
compared with a wax pellet type TRV?

All the valve
limit switches are connected together, so any open valve energises the
boiler.

Ah, all self powered and wireless then, or do you actually have to
have more complexity than a straight TRV?

The valves waste very little energy, they are rated at only 6W each and
are only energised when heat is required, so unlikely to be totally
wasted energy anyway - it's a tiny bit more heat ending up in the house.

Ok.

I had TRVs originally and making each room its own zone is far more
flexible.

By flexible I'm not sure how much more flexible you need other than to
have each room set at whatever temperature you like independently of
any other?

eg. I set each room up for her about 5 years ago and she's not asked
me or changed them herself ever since?

I'm not saying that having ultimate control isn't a 'nice / good
idea', just that I question how many people would ever make full /
regular use of it or miss the 'flexibility' over straight TRV's?

Cheers, T i m