Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Boot light keeps blowing fuse

In article
, Tim+
wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
On 24/10/2019 19:13, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 16:27:58 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

snip

The battery may have been old but otherwise functional if used
within it's normal constraints (like not leaving an interior light
on overnight).

Its normal to be able to leave all the parking lights on overnight,
not just one interior lamp.

Normal for how many people, here (even) for example?

At a rough guess everyone. Do you not think that you should be able to
use parking lights all night or do you think its normal to get out of
bed and charge the battery a few times a night if you want to use the
parking lights.

In practice nobody leaves their ”parking lights• on all night because in
the real world, you rarely know how good your battery capacity is. A
”failing• battery can go on being functional for years if it‘s in regular
use, not subject to extremes of cold etc., and until it‘s stressed you
just won‘t know it‘s capacity.

Leaving parking lights on overnight though is a stress that most folk
know might well flatten on old battery so they just don‘t do it. When
did you last see a car in the middle of the night with parking lights on?

What are you going to do if you have to park on a road with other
than a 30mph speed limit which requires parking lights?

Park it for as short a time as possible or park elsewhere! You rarely
*have* to park somewhere where parking lights are required. If you do
have to then hope you have a good battery.

Hope you don't need a jump start in the morning?

Why would I I have a proper battery that does what it should, if yours
doesn't then get it fixed like a normal person would.

Ah but, most folk will only know that they have a ”proper• battery if the
car starts in the morning after leaving parking lights on. Who routinely
tests their battery capacity or replaces a battery before it fails?

Leaving parking lights on overnight is a gamble that most motorists with
real lifetime experience prefer not to take.

There must be a 30mph limit if you want to park without lights. In many
villages there isn't one.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England