Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default what type of fitting is this?

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 07:45:27 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 10/24/2019 05:27 AM, Xeno wrote:
On 24/10/19 3:13 am, Jim Horton wrote:
I'm using it for electronics, but I see it used to hook around much
larger posts. Need to find out what it is called. Thanks.

https://i.imgur.com/q8Us848.jpg

It looks like what is known in electronics as wire wrap.

The article better explains the concept.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_wrap

Normally a tool is used to wrap the wire. I have one here somewhere, not
used in a long time.

I've got a couple. One is like pictured in the article where you cut the
wire to length, strip the ends, and then wrap the connections. The other
is similar to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiring_pencil

but the wire used is the standard Kynar insulated type and wrapping it
around the posts cuts through the insulation at the corners. It's a lot
faster.

I miss the days when I could wirewrap a working Z80 computer on the
kitchen table.

I think he's talking about these critters.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/11822
They were used as a cheap substitute for fahnestock clips in many
low-end electronics experimenter kits in decades past.

See
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...onics-kits/all
AND
https://www.exploratorium.edu/tinker...breadboarding-