Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Stuck tailgate

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 07:57:43 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 10/24/2019 04:28 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 10/23/19 10:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Any of you guys know how to fix this?
https://imgur.com/gallery/3Wuvk8l

No picture. We run Fords at work. The handle is almost always
the problem
when they stick closed. Remove the inner panel so you can see the
mechanism.
A big pair of channel locks will squeeze the arms together to get the
endgate open.
The handles are cheap and readily available at auto parts stores.

You really need to see the video. During the first part I thought that
the shift in the load had merely pulled a container off the chassis.
Then the camera moved to the front and I saw cab and all had been ripped
off the frame.

The tailgate on my F150 has never stuck but it's best to approach it
with a can of wasp spray in the summer. The little *******s love to
build a nest behind the handle.

There are cases - even here in the modern world -
where a dump truck operator - when unloading -
fails to check that the load is moving - if it's sticky clay
that has been in the truck all night - it will stick in the
dump box and tip the truck backwards !
John T.