Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Front door lock complete with handles - what's it called?

alan_m wrote:
On 22/10/2019 16:12, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 15:40:58 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Chris Green wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 14:03:14 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

The existing night latch on our front door is a nuisance because
it's not possible to set it so that it can be left 'unlocked' with
easy access to go in and out without a key.

The door has (relatively) secure keyed deadlocks for when we really
want to lock up.

So I'm looking for a 'front door lock' which has handles on both
inside and outside to replace the night latch. My M-I-L's house has
one so I know such things exist but I can't find anything that looks
like what want at Screwfix or Toolstation. What should I be searching
for, maybe I have the name wrong?

Bearing in mind the number of suggestions that aren't what you're
looking for, you probably won't want this either. I don't see the
handle length, which is clearly important to you, but I'll put it up
anyway http://tinyurl.com/y4r4a8oo

It's in the right ball-park but it's rather flimsier than what I
remember/have in mind. I probably need to re-visit my M-I-L's house
and take a picture of the lock there and/or find out what make it is.
Then I can at least say "I want one like this".

... and here are some pictures, taken by my brother-in-law:-

http://isbd.uk/pictures/lock/

Sorry, you have to rotate them to the right.

"I want one like this" :-)

So it's one of these https://tinyurl.com/y35kftja or similar, plus a
lever pad handle set like one of these https://tinyurl.com/y6kbs7uv
and a standard euro lock cylinder of the appropriate make and length.

Fairly standard lock usually fitted to double glazed back doors, often
associated with a locking mechanism that extends the whole length of the
door. Back doors are often fitted with a different lock to front doors
so that you don't accidentally lock yourself out.

.... and 'back doors' are usually ones that when unlocked you can go in
and out using the handle which is what I've been after. So maybe I
should be looking for a 'back door' lock.

The handles types are usually an option when specifying/ordering a new
door.

Yes, seems reasonable.

You possibly need to order the lock and handles separately.

Yes.

The lock cyclinder is a Eurolock which can take a key both sides or
alternatively a key one side and a thumb knob on the other side.

There are various options for the distance between the key and the
handle spindle.

How does that affect things? Apart from making the holes for the
bolts in the right places is there any other significance in this?

Try googling for "double glazing door parts".

Example
https://www.handlesandhinges.co.uk/door-spares/

You can also get something like this (just one quick example)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-loc...-backset/4710p

That looks like what I want now I understand better. If I understand
the above lock correctly:-

Both handles (indoor and outdoor) simply operate the latch.

The latch can be configured for opening either way.

The eurolock cylinder (bought separately) will lock the door using
the deadbolt which is quite independent of the latch.

The handles need to be bought separately, how easy is it to get
ones that are not a pair?

BUT you then need to match dimensions for handle face-plates and check
the thickness of the Euolock whch you buy separately

Yes, OK.

Thanks for all the help and ideas everyone, I seem to have found what
I want at last! :-)

--
Chris Green
ยท