Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Did anyone else know that it is Boiler Switch On Week?

On 23/10/2019 21:29, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 18:07:48 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 23/10/2019 17:47, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 14:43:00 +0100, Robin wrote:

snip

Ignoring the binary / analogue action, what is the (functional /
thermal control) differences between a thermostatic rad valve and a
room stat / room? And we are only talking about the ability to manage
the temperature in the room, nothing else / irreverent thanks.

This should be funny ...

It seems to me an old CH system that requires at least one radiator
without a TRV is not particularly funny - unlike, say, a know-it-all who
has never heard of such systems (albeit the latter may of course really
be an occasion for regret, especially if it arises from a traumatic
brain injury caused by DIY).

What?

You want more? Seriously?

I'd like something coherent that wasn't already pretty obvious, yes.

OK, then since you ask so nicely:

1. The boiler requires (in the absence of an internal or external
bypass) at least one radiator without TRV.

Yes, and?

2. The temperature in the room with that radiator (or those radiators)
cannot be managed (to use your term) by TRVs.

No, and?

3. The temperature in said room can be managed with a thermostat (which
controls the "call for heat").

It can, yes, and?

Sorry, I thought you were going to explain that you had an actual
point?

It's like you have just researched it yourself and found some nooby
d-i-y site that warns about not providing some form of bypass?

Luckily, others have already explained it all to you ...and in this
(and my Mums case) it's provided by a towel rail.

And if there's no towel rail plumbed separate from the bathroom radiator?

Anyhow, let's get back to your original question:

"Ignoring the binary / analogue action, what is the (functional /
thermal control) differences between a thermostatic rad valve and a
room stat / room?"

Do you understand how in my example the stat is functioning in a
different way from a TRC to control the room's temperature?

If you saw such a system would you tell the owner they /must/ rip out
the stat, fit TRVs and also fit a bypass heated towel rail because that
is the only right way?

--
Robin