Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused[_4_] Unquestionably Confused[_4_] is offline

Default Laundry platform

On 10/23/2019 12:25 PM, knuttle wrote:
On 10/22/2019 5:48 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
The boss has asked me to build a riser for the front-loading washer
and dryer.Â* Easy.Â* But how do I get the machines up on the platform?
Theres gotta be a trick that one of you guys can share.

Our washer went south, and had to be replaced.Â* While waiting for the
new one to be delivered, I considered all possible scenarios to get it
out of the drip pan. (Its on the 2nd floor and the pan is drians to the
sewer.)

When the dryer was delivered I was prepared with all of the things
needed to lift it up, and out of the pan.

I showed the delivery man where it was to go.Â* He looked the situation
over, and lifted the washer out of the pan an moved it down stairs.Â* So
much for my concept of the problem.

You can learn a lot watching professional delivery men.

Takeway? Invest $20 or so in those web straps they use in tandem to
move heavy appliances, etc. They rest on their shoulders and function
as a sling to carry the load. Very little bending involved and it's
amazing how much two folks can carry when the weight is properly
distributed.

Takeway 2? Think outside the box and think the problem through. We had
a large double door refrigerator freezer (with the freezer drawer on the
bottom) delivered and I knew that there was no way the appliance could
be moved in with the doors in place due to the depth of the thing.

Guys show up, scope out the situation and one pulls out a screwdriver
and removes the handle on the freezer drawer only. They first opened
both doors of the refrigerator and slide in the doorway and then angled
the unit while closing the first door through the opening, jockeyed it a
bit and got the second door through the opening and the job was done.

Had it been me doing it, I'd probably have been trying to remove all the
handles (a real job a a French door refrigerator).