Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Heat pump SEER rating

In article ,
says...

So now you are pumping that heat back outside, after you paid for it
to be pumped inside.
Sounds pretty inefficient to me. Heat pumps suck if it gets much below
40F you are dealing with the laws of thermodynamics here.

As long as the cost of electricity is not too high and you live in an
area of say a line from Virginia south and not in the mountains the heat
pump is a good way to go.

While for a short period of time you do pump heat out of the house to
the outside to de ice, it is not for very long. In a manner of speaking
the heat pumps are over 100% efficent. That is you are moving the heat
by electricity instead of just heating the air with resistance heaters
which many call baseboard heaters.

I moved from a house that had just AC and a natural gas furnace to one
with a heat pump. The new house is about 2 times as large but better
insulated. The whole electric bill per month in the winter is less
than just the gas bill was at the other house..It is just my wife and I
.. We do have a well so supply our own water too where in the other
house we did not.

No, the heat pumps only start to suck if it gets much below 25 deg F and
stays there for long periods of time. They really suck if it is below
20 deg F for long periods of time and are useless if in areas colder.

My electric rate is not very much, around 11 cents per KWH.

All I am talking about is the open air heat pumps. Not a lot of homes
will have the water/earth type mainly due to the expense of installing
them and maybe the room to do it.