Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Using portable generator to power furnace fan (AC/PSC motor) - yes or no?

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 06:44:19 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Very interesting. On some of these they use a flame sensor that relies
on just a steel rod, whereby somehow the flame itself generates a
small voltage. Seems that would rely on sensing a voltage between that
rod and ground, ie EGC. And if the generator is not properly grounded to
the house ground, to the furnace, I can see how that would be a problem.
And don't ask me about the physics whereby that flame sensor works....

Trader, some electronic controls NEED the neutral power line (white wire) to be at or near the same voltage as the safety ground (green wire) or else they will throw an error code.

If the neutral and ground are bonded together in the generator as they should be, it should work fine.

Mark

Some engineers are lazy, and the accountants win out - so the flame
sensor only uses one wire, resorting to the "chassis ground" for
return. If the chassis ground and the neutral are at different
potential, the controller mis-reads the sensor foltage and determines
that the flame has gone out - so it shuts off the gas and the flame
DOES go out.