Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Heat pump SEER rating

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.z927scfkwdg98l@glass...
On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 08:29:13 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 22/10/2019 07:29, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 21/10/2019 20:20, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why can't I find a heat pump with a good SEER rating? The USA has a
law stating 13 minimum. Yet here in the UK, I looked at Panasonic and
they're all 7 to 11!

Its a longitude thing. High ratings are only achieved between about 70
and 120 degrees west.
A bit like music power really.

I'll bet that in the USA they may not be quoting the spec for heating,
just cooling

The USA has snowy parts does it not?

Yes, but they mostly use gas for winter heating, not heat pumps.

Have they not realised you can reverse those AC units?

Corse they do and actually invented them, but since they
have so much piped gas, the capital cost of a heap pump
is the the real downside with winter heating. Gas furnaces
are much simpler and cheaper and they are mostly air
heaters rather than your water radiator systems. Ours are
too, very few water radiator systems here, nearly all gas
fired air heaters using piped natural gas or bottled propane.

We used to have a lot of oil fired air heaters but I havent
seen any of those used for decades now. I used to have
one in the house I lived in in the 60s but havent since.