Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Shower mixer hose outlet bent out of shape.

Rednadnerb wrote:
Sorry I can't provide a picture but it is as John describes. Brass with a
flat sealing face but the outlet is slightly D shaped and maybe the
sealing face is no longer flat. I think someone clamped it with a pliers
(not me honest). Maybe the sealing face is no longer flat. I have tried
it with a new hose and washer.

Am I right in thinking that if the thread is not part of the seal then my
ptfe tape hasn't actually been doing anything?

If it has a flat face, then no, the threads dont have a sealing function.
A new hose and washer should work unless theres something else wrong that
you havent told us. PTFE tape on the threads may allow you to do the
fitting up a bit tighter and compress the washer more but the the seal is
made by the washer.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls