Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Simple, inexpensive ladder for treehouse

On 10/21/2019 6:23 PM, J wrote:
First, I'm so pleased to see that this group is still active :-)

I am envisioning using a couple of 2x4s at a slight angle as the side-rails of the ladder, spaced pretty close together (about 9" between the boards), and then using something for the rungs. That's where I want to solicit your advice. :-)

... Finally, maybe just using pressure treated 1x4 (or event some
small leftover decking boards that I still have), attached directly
with 2 or 3 screws on each end (no notches) would be strong enough -
though I'm not sure about the sheer strength of deck screws or if
having more of them effectively improves sheer strength of the
assembly (are nails better?). Any advice or other ideas appreciated.

The barn hayloft ladder is 1x4 nailed to the joists...it's been there
for over 100 years and hasn't failed yet. It's not outside, but the
fastening mechanism is pretty well tested.

I'd use 1x4 instead of 2x4 for the rungs as it's not as bulky to grab
for kids (and my hands aren't that big, either). These weren't but have
been worn round by the use over the years, but I'd round over the edges
if were me. And, today, I'd use a deck screw as opposed to nailing.