Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Heat pump SEER rating

On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 23:23:19 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 21/10/2019 20:50, A noiseless patient Spider wrote:
Why can't I find a heat pump with a good SEER rating? The USA has a
law stating 13 minimum. Yet here in the UK, I looked at Panasonic and
they're all 7 to 11!

It's because we use 120/240 volt 60 Hz two-phase. Your single-phase 50
Hz is less efficient.

https://www.energystar.gov/products/...rce_heat_pumps

Doesn't it also depend on if it's been optimised for air conditioning to
cool air in the summer rather than being optimised for heating during
the winter in climates such as the UK?

Is that necessary? If it's reversible, isn't it just that? Obviously it will be less efficient when it's pushing heat through a larger gradient (which will happen in heating mode), but that can't be helped.

Consider also it appears from many of the examples I've seen honesty
doesn't seem to be part of USA advertising.

Don't they have a government body to check they're honest?

And it ain't just the USA - almost everything you buy with a rating is a lie. Cameras with less megapixels than they say, batteries with less capacity than they say, etc. Every time I buy something like that, I test it thoroughly, then get a partial refund :-)