Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default wires are metal ...

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 12:42:32 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message

When I worked on my truck's wiring I marked each connector that I
had
checked and cleaned by painting a spot of white nail polish on both
halves and writing the connector number from the schematic.

Smart man, labeling things. Digital pics of before (assembled) and
after (torn apart) are good, too.

I recently picked up a new Dymo labelmaker. Wow, what a difference
from the old plastic letters to the new electronic labels. Man was
it
worth the price! LabelManager 280, $34 at Amazon,plus $10.68 for 4
extra rolls of labels.

If you have more to do, get one of these things. The cheap
Chiwanese
labels work fine with them, too. I'm decluttering the entire house
and shop, putting the things I keep in clear plastic boxes with
labels, and ordering them better than I ever had before. It's
starting
to look sane around here as a result, and I can find stuff and tools
again.

I labelled wiring harnesses with white printed heatshrink when [big
auto company] was paying for the supplies. At home I've had better
luck with white nail polish and a fine point Sharpie than any stick-on
labels on connectors that don't have smooth flat surfaces and get hot.

The factory manuals for my vehicles have good drawings showing
connector locations, and others that gave the individual connectors'
wire color coding. I only had to match the connectors to the drawings
and label them, which I did as I cleaned them to mark my progress. The
pins are retained by red tabs that can be removed with needle nose
pliers to extract individual pins.