Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Front door lock complete with handles - what's it called?

dennis@home wrote:
On 20/10/2019 14:03, Chris Green wrote:
The existing night latch on our front door is a nuisance because
it's not possible to set it so that it can be left 'unlocked' with
easy access to go in and out without a key.

The door has (relatively) secure keyed deadlocks for when we really
want to lock up.

So I'm looking for a 'front door lock' which has handles on both
inside and outside to replace the night latch. My M-I-L's house has
one so I know such things exist but I can't find anything that looks
like what want at Screwfix or Toolstation. What should I be searching
for, maybe I have the name wrong?

Are you saying you don't want a lock at all but a latch like on interior
doors?

Not really. The front door on my M-I-L's house has a single
integrated front door lock and handle. It has a Yale type key to lock
it and stubby handles both inside and outside. You can't lock it or
unlock it without the key, if it's unlocked it stays that way and you
can go in and out using the handles, if it's locked with the key then
it's locked from the outside, I can't remember if it's still possible
to open it from the inside when 'locked'.

--
Chris Green
ยท