Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Garrett Dave Garrett is offline

Default Sourcing old/obsolete breakers?

In article ,
says...

On 10/20/19 4:51 PM, Dave Garrett wrote:
In article ,
says...

Anyone know of a source for old/obsolete breakers? One of the breakers
in the panel at my parents' house failed. It's a circa-1964 Square D
panel, model QO-8R0, and the breaker is a 15A 120/240 twin/tandem one.

The failure mode is that the breaker in question tripped and cannot be
reset. An electrician confirmed that it needed to be replaced, but
hasn't had much luck finding a suitable replacement locally. There are
no known issues with any of the other breakers.

Bay Breakers/Bay Power seems to be one of the go-to sources for obsolete
breakers, but they haven't responded to a message I sent via their web
contact form.

Anticipating the inevitable recommendation, upgrading to a new panel
isn't in the budget right now.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I realize my description wasn't the
best, so to clarify I've uploaded a couple of pics of the panel to
Flickr. The breaker that failed is the one in the #2 slot.

https://flic.kr/p/2hxTNy4

https://flic.kr/p/2hxTNx7

See this FAQ for info on replacement for that old style.

https://www.schneider-electric.us/en...US#__highlight

"What is the difference in QOT Tandem breakers with handles one over the
other, versus side by side?

The current style single-pole QOT Tandem Breaker has 2 handles, and the
handles are side by side. This style can be used in place of the older
style in a single-pole application."

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know.

--
Dave