Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default wires are metal ...

On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 08:53:39 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 18:43:07 -0500
Terry Coombs wrote:

How did you install that drain plug ? I was thinking about TIG
welding a bung in , but am concerned that it'll warp .

First time I tried brazing on a 1/2 inch nut. Didn't like at all how it
looked, turned out. So I patched over the spot with maybe a 3/16 inch
by 3 inch round punch out. I MIG'd that one in place using .025 wire.
Threaded a 1/4 x 24 tpi hole and used matching bolt with aluminum
washer. What I had on hand at the time. That held till the pan rusted
out and started leaking...

The second time I used an 1/2 x 18 bolt with a 1/4 x 24 inch bolt
through it to act as the drain plug. Some simple lathe work. Went in
easy and hasn't leaked so far (maybe 6 years).

Some images he

https://postimg.cc/gallery/yyeg562q/

Nice, and no warpage from welding.

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is