Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Wire insulation problem

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 13:30:46 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Opened it up after a few months in storage to find the wires bare and
what had seemed to be conventional insulation now powder.

That's a bit weird. What other items was it stored with? Thinking
that "something" from other items has attacked the insulation, can't
think what tho'.

The exposed part of the printed ribbon cable (I presume the same as the
OP's) disintegrated in storage too, although to a goo rather than a
powder. I am sure no secondary coating would adequately separate and
support the naked 26 printed 'wires', let alon flex adequately. My only
theory is vapour or liquid from slightly leaking AA alkaline cells gets
at the coating. Since I replaced the ribbon cable I don't leave the
batteries in!

Spares are available (though I obviously don't know if the OP's model
has spares):

https://pakatak.co.uk/product/ltl-ac...-ribbon-cable/

Photos suggest it screws together;

https://www.ronburyswildlife.com/201...n-display.html

So I would recommend to the OP he either replaces it himself or finds
someone, ? a maker club or something, who can. I suspect the ribbon
cables are much cheaper on the general Internet than as specific spares,
if you can find one.

PS I think I may have the two little acorn ones I purchased in error, if
they are the same as the differently branded ones I bought with
identical model numbers. They cost me 24GBP but I would happily take a
loss if they are useful. Just need the AWM number printed on them and
the length. Purchased before I realised how many similar looking trail
camera brands are around, many being approximate copies rather than
badge engineering.

Yes the screen and controls are in the flap and the wires bend with the
hinge. I will think about where to post photos.

So whatever solution is found has to cope flexing at least 90 degrees
over justa few mm.

Other things a PCB "conformal coating", sprys or paint on with

small
brush. Flexible to some extent but won'ttake repeated flexing. Or
maybe pot the whole in "Magic Gel" from Raytech.

Only thing I know about magic gel is the youtube video I just watched,
but I can not see how to get just the wires in the gloop.

It would be difficult to pot the wires but you might be able to paint
them with Magic Gel. It's sort of "warm clear honey" viscosity when
mixed and cures soft, elastic, flexable and translucent. If it
doesn't want to stick to everything and form strings when trying to
paint with it it could be the stuff to use. I only used it to pot up
a 3 stage voltage doubler so just poured it, don't have a memory of
it forming a string when stopping pouring.

--

Roger Hayter