Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default moan #2 - dimmable or not

In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 20/10/2019 14:40, Max Demian wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Quartz halogens may be dimmable but the recycling mechanism that keeps
the internal glass surface clean doesn't work if they are run too cool.

I keep on reading this. Yet to experience it in practice. With a vast
range of halogen types, both mains and LV, all on dimmers.

Only time I've seen blackened halogen is car headlight bulbs. And not
many
cars have dimmers.

They used to have a "dim dipped" function, where the headlamp bulbs were
wired in series when you had the side lights and ignition on. It was
even a legal requirement I believe, in the late 80s and early 90s.

Dim dip headlights are a history lesson in why the older generation hate
the EU and voted to leave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automo...#Dim-dip_lamps

Dim-Dip was around before the existed. I fitted the necessary to my 1965
Anglia.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England