Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sourcing old/obsolete breakers?

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 06:08:38 -0400, ESP wrote:

On 10/19/19 11:13 PM, Dave Garrett wrote:
Anyone know of a source for old/obsolete breakers? One of the breakers
in the panel at my parents' house failed. It's a circa-1964 Square D
panel, model QO-8R0, and the breaker is a 15A 120/240 twin/tandem one.

The failure mode is that the breaker in question tripped and cannot be
reset. An electrician confirmed that it needed to be replaced, but
hasn't had much luck finding a suitable replacement locally. There are
no known issues with any of the other breakers.

Bay Breakers/Bay Power seems to be one of the go-to sources for obsolete
breakers, but they haven't responded to a message I sent via their web
contact form.

Anticipating the inevitable recommendation, upgrading to a new panel
isn't in the budget right now.

From your vague description it sounds like a QOT1515CP breaker

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Schnei...dp/B00002NB37/

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D...15CP/100076261

The fact that he said 240v implies 2 breaker slots, tandem implies two
breakers in each slot (two 240v circuits in two slots).
I have seen that breaker but not since the mid 60s.
It may be because they were not simultaneous trip and depended on the
handle ties. That used to be legal, not it isn't.