Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Seagate abandon remote access to their 'Central' NAS

On 16/10/2019 13:30, wrote:
Thanks so much for the reply. I forgot to mention that I already set up port forwarding to 22. the error I'm getting in Filezilla is "Connection Refused" when I try to connect remotely. Do you know what I may be doing wrong?

Make sure that the username and password are correct. Being UNIX, case
probably matters!

I found that I needed to use Port 443 rather than 22. Try telling your
router to forward 443 to the NAS, and then tell FileZilla to use Port 443.

I'm pretty sure that's what I did. I was planning to verify it before
replying but my NAS - having been on the blink for a long time - has
finally died, and refuses to talk to me - even locally. And all attempts
to recover its data by removing its disk and connecting it directly to
my computer have failed. Fortunately there was nothing important on it
which I hadn't already copied to another drive when it first went on the
blink.

I don't know whether other manufacturers' NAS drives are any good, but
my whole experience with this Seagate drive is that it's a pain in the arse!
--
Cheers,
Roger