Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thunderbird, blocking cross posts

On 19/10/2019 04:48, John Rumm wrote:
On 18/10/2019 12:51, Martin Brown wrote:
On 18/10/2019 12:00, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/10/2019 19:43, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I suppose blocking on "uk.legal," will catch some of them, without
blocking the moderated group.

You also need ", uk.legal" to handle both sequences.

I deliberately only suggested trailing comma rather than leading
comma as well because that would block uk.legal.moderated again

Newsgroups contains ", " will kill every cross posting.

which isn't what I want, just groups that the trolls xpost to.

In some respects you are better off going for a default "kill all"
approach, and then whitelisting the ones you are actually interested
in. Otherwise the trolls can just add a new random group from time to
time to pop back into the feed.

So a pair of filters, one that matches any of the groups you want,
and stops filter execution, followed by a separate "kill all cross
posts filter" will do that since it won't run on any message that
matched the whitelist one.

Have you figured out or found a way to do wild card or regex matching
in Thunderbird. I tried a couple of add-ins but they never worked for me.

Regex, no (although to be fair, I have not actually tried since I can
usually get the result I need with the conventional filters and a bit of
lateral thought.

Wildcard matching you already have partially, since there is typically
an option to match on text with criteria like "begins with", "contains",
and "ends with".

The generic one that would be useful is contains ", " two or more times.
Since it would avoid having to manually white list genuine cross posts
that may be relevant in a couple of groups.

It is a common characteristic of troll fodder that it is typically cross
posted to 3 or more groups at a time. "alt." and ", alt." work for me.

But sometimes the odd one gets through.

(you can also get more combinatorial logic power if you are prepared to
craft the filter rules files yourself rather using just the GUI)

Oh yes. I am manually setting them up and adding custom fields to make
the routing to local folders for emails work as I want them to.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown