Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default moan #2 - dimmable or not

On 19 Oct 2019 15:27:46 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
As a side comment, the plethora of bulb types is a nightmare. We have
some fittings which we especially like in a couple of rooms which are
designed for golf ball 40W conventional bulbs. Weve had them about 20
years but they are perfect for the rooms they are in etc and have
dimmers. Try as I might, I cant find dimmable LED replacements which
have a true equivalent light output. Ones with a lower output yes but
not true equivalent.

It is a real problem with LEDs. Where you actually see the bulbs. Trying
to find ones which look as good as the tungsten type.

My particular bugbear is that even after all this time, there still doesnt
seem to be an LED equivalent of a standard bulb in terms of light
distribution. The output is nearly all directed away from the base, unlike
tungsten bulbs which have a much more spherical light distribution. Ive
yet to find a good 100W equivalent for a standard lamp (where I want
significant downward spread of light for reading).

Tim

The nearest is probably the 'filament' (COB). If I could find an easy way of
modding my standard lamp I'd put in some sort of flexi-adaptor and use a
GU10 or R50 - 63 to shine downwards.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away