Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default moan #2 - dimmable or not

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
As a side comment, the plethora of bulb types is a nightmare. We have
some fittings which we especially like in a couple of rooms which are
designed for golf ball 40W conventional bulbs. Weve had them about 20
years but they are perfect for the rooms they are in etc and have
dimmers. Try as I might, I cant find dimmable LED replacements which
have a true equivalent light output. Ones with a lower output yes but
not true equivalent.

It is a real problem with LEDs. Where you actually see the bulbs. Trying
to find ones which look as good as the tungsten type.

That's true, and there is another issue where the colour temperature of
the bulbs varies. A few months ago I bought 10 bulbs, which had
identical packs (there were several dozen - I just picked 10 of the
boxes, checking the info was the same). When I tried them, I found 7 had
one colour, and three another colour. It wasn't greatly different, and
they matched within those groups, but were distinctly and obviously
different when switched on at the same time in the same room.

--

Jeff