Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Wire insulation problem

wrote:

Hello all,

I have a "little Acorn" trail cam, it is a waterproof digital camera which
automatically takes photos when it detects movement. A flap on the base
opens to give access to the controls and a small screen. A electrical
ribbon cable connects the electrics in the body of the camera to the
electrics in the flap.

Unfortunately the insulation of the ribbon cable has completely perished
and come away. Access to the ends of the copper wire is not possible as
the units are sealed. Without insulation I am worried that the copper
wires may either short out or become damaged when the lid moves.

Can anyone suggest a way of protecting the wires with a flexible,
insulative coating that can be applied to fine copper wires that are close
together?

TIA

I had this problem with an Ereagle cameral. In the end I checked the
type number on the ribbon cable, which specifies the thickness and
pitch, and measured the length and number of ways; and found 100 of
them for about 5 quid on Alibaba. They are about 1cm longer than the
original, but this is easlly accommodated at one end.

(I doubt if they fit yours but they are 100Pcs AWM 20624 80C 60V VW-1
230 x 0.5mm 26 Pin FFC . I also have a couple of the same thing 8" long
which were too short for my application. You would be welcome to a
couple if they did fit)

--

Roger Hayter