Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using portable generator to power furnace fan (AC/PSC motor) - yes or no?

On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 12:25:05 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Oct 2019 06:23:57 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 23:07:26 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

No way to find the voltage sensing circuit that controls the voltage.
There must be a circuit that drives the current to the rotor.
See what it's doing, maybe put a resistor in series to trick it out?
Probably no schematics that show what the board or boards do though.

Most of the simple generators only have a governed speed control. There
is usually a mechanical adjustment for this somewhere in the 'fixed
throttle'.

I have not looked over my 5 kw generator in a while, but my little 700
watt Harbor Freight does have an adjustment screw that can set the speed
of the engine.

This one has a bracket that the governor spring hooks to with about 2
dozen holes and you just pick the one that puts the right tension on
the spring.

That spring adjustment does not adjust the SPEED - it adjusts the
response to load change - in most cases. One whole one way from proper
and it sags, one hole the other way and it over-shoots

It certainly does adjust the speed and thus also the frequency. The
governor only looks at a vane in the cooling hood and the spring
tension is what determines how that vane adjusts the throttle plate.