Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Using portable generator to power furnace fan (AC/PSC motor) - yes or no?

On Sun, 06 Oct 2019 02:47:11 -0400, micky
wrote:
SNIPP

The only other thing I'd power off the generator would be my internet /
network UPS.

They don't use much. But they're probably not near the furnace, so
more extension cords and a so-called cube-tap.

Mine are about 6 feet apart - but I have an interlock on my panel so
it's not an issue. 240 volt genny too - --

My whole oil furnace, including air circulation fan, igniter transformer
and fan and oil pump, and tiny bit of circuity uses a 15-amp breaker, so
I'm sure your fan doesn't use more than 15 amps, 1700 watts or so.

So I guess the short answer is yes, they have or could power an ordinary
fractional HP electric motor.

Go to bed at sundown, get up at dawn and use flashlights for the rest of
the time. Wear muckalucks.