Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Using portable generator to power furnace fan (AC/PSC motor) - yes or no?

On Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:05:59 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 5 Oct 2019 12:12:47 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...

I'm only considering this because (a) it's relatively cheap today and
(b) if I ever did need it, then so would several thousand other people
and there'd be none on the shelf in that case.

Absolutely no need for 220v.

Only considering it if I'd be in the middle of a multi-day (or longer)
power failure in winter, otherwise this thing would be sitting in the
box, possibly for the next 5 to 10 years or who knows how long. So it's
a pretty end-of-the-world type situation that I'd put it to use. Truth
is I'd probably end up loaning it to friends/family going camping before
I'd put it to this anticipated emergency use.

You may want to look into the dual fuel generators that run on gas or
propane. The propane stores for years. I found one like this on sale
for about $ 350 and free shipping. It will put out 120 or 240 volts.
If you only need 120 volts,you can flip a switch and parallel the 120
volt windings for twice the current. It even has a battery to start it.
You just need to charge the battey every so often if you do not use it.
It will start with the rope too if the battery is dead.

Just beware many of the camper generators only put out 120 volts and if
you ever need 240 volts you will not be able to get it.

This unit comes with everything you need but the propane tank. The
small BBQ grill size usually xost bout 30 to 40 dollars for an empty
tank and less than$ 15 to fill them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DuroMax-XP4...ble-Dual-Fuel-
Propane-Gas-Camping-RV-Generator/223692061480?epid=203718508
&hash=item341515fb28:g:gAYAAOSwzgRW0vAW

They do have bigger ones.

We sledom loose power and I have a 5500 watt gas unit. I bought the
propane unit so I do not have to worry about the gas for short durations
of outage.

I have a propane generator and it is not going to run very long on a
15 pound tank (AKA 20 but never true). My 5.5 KW burns 0.8 gallons an
hour. A "grille" tank would last a little over 4 hours.

Which is wny I have an NG connector as well as propane on mine - - -