Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Cost of roof

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 16:42:41 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 12:41:47 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I am in the process of getting annual quotes on house insurance.
Some policies cover the replacement cost of the roof at 100%
regardless of the age or condition of the roof.
If the house burns down and is rebuilt, the insurance company pays for a brand new roof.
Other policies only pay a depreciated value on the roof.
My roof is 20 years old so basically they are saying they would pay almost nothing
for a replacement roof if my whole house burned down and was rebuilt.
They pay 100% on rebuilding the house brand new except don't give you any money to install a roof.

My question is: How much does it cost to put on a new roof on a house?
My house is about 1250 square feet, hip roof, ranch one story, asphalt shingles.
Somewhat basic, simple roof.
In your answers please say whether the price is for a re-roof of an existing house
where they just put on new shingles and tar paper. Or whether its the portion
associated to the roof of a new house build.
Assume this is shingles, paper, sheathing, and maybe trusses/rafters too.
What part of the country the quote is from might be very relevant too.
I'm in the Midwest.

I suspect that you have mis-understood the coverage - no offence ..
I suspect that they pro-rate the roof repair/replacement -
only when it is the subject of the claim - ie wind damage ; tree
branch ; but if the claim is for the whole house -
- the shingles would be treated like everything else -
otherwise they would be pro-rating your siding, plumbing,
flooring, fixtures, etc etc
I'm not an insurance person - just trying to use common sense -
I suggest you double check this detail with a good broker.

ps: they DO drive by and take-a-look - and probably take
photos - before signing on new or suspect policies -
.. when our old dumpy family home passed to my eldest brother -
- they made him install a rail on the 50 year old step/landing ;
and install an outdoor GFI receptacle for the block heater -
which happened to be plugged in - through a window -
when they drove by for their inspection ..
I'm not sure how well-trained the insurance "inspectors" are
- they didn't mention the big branch - hanging over the house -
from the neighbours ancient white birch tree ..
... we looked after that afterwards.
.. nor the big 100 year old spruce tree hanging over the other
neighbours house ... dunno ..
John T.

Big difference in insurance between Canada and the USA too - but what
you say pretty much applies across the board.

Insurance companies are NOT in the business of taking risks - - - - -
And yes, I've spent 17 years working in an insurance office - not as
an insurance professional but as their IT support - and learned a lot
about insurance. My daughter is also an insurance professional
(commercial lines mostly - but also personal lines property insurance)