Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Cost of roof

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 17:52:37 -0400, ads wrote:

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 15:58:21 -0500, gray_wolf

On 10/18/2019 2:41 PM, wrote:
Not a woodworking question per se.* But a question on the cost of installing a
roof on a house.* So at least its carpentry focused.* I am in the process of
getting annual quotes on house insurance.* Some policies cover the replacement
cost of the roof at 100% regardless of the age or condition of the roof.* If
the house burns down and is rebuilt, the insurance company pays for a brand
new roof.* Other policies only pay a depreciated value on the roof.* My roof
is 20 years old so basically they are saying they would pay almost nothing for
a replacement roof if my whole house burned down and was rebuilt.* They pay
100% on rebuilding the house brand new except don't give you any money to
install a roof.

My question is:* How much does it cost to put on a new roof on a house?* My
house is about 1250 square feet, hip roof, ranch one story, asphalt shingles.
Somewhat basic, simple roof.* In your answers please say whether the price is
for a re-roof of an existing house where they just put on new shingles and tar
paper.* Or whether its the portion associated to the roof of a new house
build.* Assume this is shingles, paper, sheathing, and maybe trusses/rafters
too.* What part of the country the quote is from might be very relevant too.
I'm in the Midwest.

About the only variable - other than whether it's high tide in the Port of
Boston - you didn't put in here is whether or not it's a tear off.

You simply have too many variables to get a meaningful estimate.

Suggestion?* You have a twenty year old roof.* Call a couple of roofing
companies and get a free estimate.

I live in south Texas and have had new roof and big tree removable done. Get
bids from some of the smaller contractors. I got a good job done for half of
what the big companies charge.

Home Depot's contractor quoted $10,000. A local roofing-only firm
that's been in business for decades quoted $4,500.
It definitely pays to shop around. Might have found someone even
cheaper but preferred to do business with someone who was likely to be
there for warranty work.

You better be comparing applesa to apples - I doubt you are. It's
not a case of "a roof is a roof" Crappy shingles cost less than 1/3
what good ones do. Labour cost is the same assuming the sam quality of
workmanship.

I just had my roof replaced. Strip off old roof to plywood. No wood
replacement required. new drip edge and ice/water guard, new flashing
and roof vents, new oermeable roof underlay and 50 year non pro-rated
warranty - 15 squares of Certainteed Northgate shingles - class 4
impact resistant and 15 year 110mph wind damage guarantee -
transferable to new owner - $8000 Canadian.

Warrantee covers removal, disposal and replacement - no deductable.

I could have had a bargain GAF or IKO roof for about half the price -
the warranty not worth the paper it was printed on - like the one I
just had torn off.

Also - you are mis-reading the insurance policy. If you have
replacement value replacement on the house and the roof is damaged by
fire or any other insured peril, the roof IS INCLUDED - unless,
possibly, you are in a fire danger area like southern california and
you roof is not fire resistant and the fire starts from embers on the
roof. In that case they MAY not cover the roof - just like they don't
cover the replacement of a leaky water pipe but cover the damage
caused by the water leak.