Posted to rec.woodworking
knuttle knuttle is offline

Default Cost of roof

On 10/18/2019 10:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/18/2019 3:41 PM, wrote:

My question is:Â* How much does it cost to put on a new roof on a
house?Â* My house is about 1250 square feet, hip roof, ranch one story,
asphalt shingles.Â* Somewhat basic, simple roof.Â* In your answers
please say whether the price is for a re-roof of an existing house
where they just put on new shingles and tar paper.Â* Or whether its the
portion associated to the roof of a new house build.Â* Assume this is
shingles, paper, sheathing, and maybe trusses/rafters too.Â* What part
of the country the quote is from might be very relevant too.Â* I'm in
the Midwest.

I'd say between 5k and 10k.Â* Cheap shingles or high grade 40 year?
Venting?Â* gutters?Â* In the case of a fire they probably would do tear
off.Â* Wind damage they my depreciate but I realy don't know for sure.

I think what you really need is a better insurance agent.Â* In 54 years
of home ownership I never had to go through all of that.

The best starting point in any project is to make an estimate yourself.

Start with the outside demention of you house divide the gabled end by
two and calculate the area of the roof using trigonometry. Add a couple
of feet to the dimensions for overhangs, and calculate the area of the roof.

Once you have the total area of he roof, go to a web site like Lowes,
and find the cost of the shingles and the "Tar paper" equivalent of what
they are using to day.

Using these numbers calculate the cost of materials to do the roof.
Double it to put in a cost of labor, and use this as a starting estimate.