Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sash windows.

On Friday, 18 October 2019 16:50:43 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
Been fixing up some sash windows which are basically about 130 years old.
Had a broken glass after what look like a bird it it - or bullet. ;-) And
a sash cord.

So decided to replace all the sash cords at the same time, and with new
parting and stop beads. So got the type that takes a nylon brush for best
draught proofing. And wondered if anyone knows how long the brush is
likely to last? It will hopefully stop any rattles too, in a wind.

I've got a lot of sash windows in my holiday flat, which is in a Grade
II listed building - so little scope for double glazing.

I've replaced all my beads with the nylon brush type. They have improved
noise and drafts to some extent, but not as much as I hoped.

I've also replaced the cord to sash attachments with these
https://www.mightonproducts.com/cordclam-cord-retainer which make it a
doddle to remove and replace the sashes in future - e.g. for painting.
Oh, and the staff beads are screwed rather than nailed on like the old
ones - also facilitating easy removal.

I've also used screws for the staff beads. Couldn't think of a similar way
to fix the parting beads, though.

I've found pins make it easier & quicker to remove the beads than screws.

NT