Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] russellseaton1@yahoo.com is offline

Default Cost of roof

Not a woodworking question per se. But a question on the cost of installing a roof on a house. So at least its carpentry focused. I am in the process of getting annual quotes on house insurance. Some policies cover the replacement cost of the roof at 100% regardless of the age or condition of the roof. If the house burns down and is rebuilt, the insurance company pays for a brand new roof. Other policies only pay a depreciated value on the roof. My roof is 20 years old so basically they are saying they would pay almost nothing for a replacement roof if my whole house burned down and was rebuilt. They pay 100% on rebuilding the house brand new except don't give you any money to install a roof.

My question is: How much does it cost to put on a new roof on a house? My house is about 1250 square feet, hip roof, ranch one story, asphalt shingles. Somewhat basic, simple roof. In your answers please say whether the price is for a re-roof of an existing house where they just put on new shingles and tar paper. Or whether its the portion associated to the roof of a new house build. Assume this is shingles, paper, sheathing, and maybe trusses/rafters too. What part of the country the quote is from might be very relevant too. I'm in the Midwest.