Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Horton Jim Horton is offline

Default good mineral oil removal?

On 10/15/19 11:24 AM, Jim Horton wrote:
In the midst of revamping an old electronic project where the high
voltage components were under oil.Â* There have been leaks and, upon
inspection today, I have determined that I would like to embed in
paraffin this time around (paraffin is what was originally recommended).
Â*However, I am left with mineral oil residue, not only on the
components to be wax embedded, but any spills, etc, and I'm wondering
what the best way is to remove it?Â* Thank you!

Just to follow up here, I found that the following did an excellent job
not only removing almost all of the oil, but not damaging any surface it
contacted or leaving any residue:

CRC 5103 Quick Dry Electronic Cleaner

It took 3 cans for the amount of oil I had to remove, but it did a great
job. You can find it online, auto stores, or Walmart. I got mine at
Walmart as it was cheapest.

I've been well past oil removal for several days and actually on my
second wax potting attempt. By the way, the cleaner cleaned well enough
that when I peeled away any remaining wax from my first try, some of it
all of it was well in place with no oil residue anywhere. I could
easily reuse the paraffin, but I am now going to try a beeswax/ rosin
mix as I found that the paraffin shrank too much and had microcracks
when cooled. The beeswax/ rosin will not be cheap, however. I had read
a thread where someone added low temperature hot glue sticks to standard
melted paraffin to increase its strength, but unfortunately I couldn't
find any specifics on it, such as mix ratios, etc, and determining
whether or not the hot glue is EVA seems a big task since the market
packaging doesn't indicate it.