Charles Spitzer

Default Using pool water to cool A/C

"BeamGuy" wrote in message
s.com...
From the university physics course level the idea looks good, but as
a practial matter it may not.

In general - it takes about 10 times more energy to cool your house
10 degrees in summer as it takes to heat it 10 degrees in winter. That
10 degrees is measured from the inside of the heat exchanger, which
could be running as high as maybe 110 degrees. Pool water is not
only cooler than the air, but also a better heat exchanger. So you are
starting from a lower tempurture - if you start from 90 degrees it only
takes half the electric bill to get you down to 70. Can you really swim
in 90 degree water?

sure. after a few years at it, you won't want to get into the water until
it's at least 85.

You would save even more by running the pool water through the house
in a "forced hot water" heating system during early summer and maybe
during hot spells in the fall. Those FHW systems are popular in the

northeast,
I don't know about the south. You should be able to pump the water around
with almost zero electrical bill.

If you pump the return water through an outdoor fountain of some sort the
water will be cooled by "evaporative air conditioning". When I grew up
in the desert all we had were evaporative air conditioners. They work real
well when the humidity is low. In this way the only time you might need

turn on that refridgerator based device would be on the days that the

nightime
tempurature is high, and the humidity is high, namely the hot spells of

the
summer.