Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machine Shop niche areas

On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 12:43:41 PM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 05:19:00 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I met a guy at the local scrap yard. He was dumping a couple of 55 gal drums of swarf. He invited me to see has shop and I have since visited his shop a number of times. He has had the shop for about 6 months and does not have any specialty. The major machines that he has are a manual lathe, a turning center , and a Bridgeport. And is located in Wilmington , De.

So does anyone have an idea of work he should be trying to cultivate?

Dan

what local industry is there locally that doesnt have inhouse
maint/machining?

Im maint manager in a screw machine shop when Im not doing the
Omniturn service thing and I have to keep 15 elderly Acme Gridley
screw machines running, along with surface grinders and 19 Omniturns.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9y4zCipds9Y5WjWn8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pfMWmcWdiWwYZ49L6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/M8hcBMNwxeXzKLM18

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XdasWixuR4dTGrnZ7

If it wasnt for me..they would be sending repair work out 2-4 times a
week. I also do a fair amount of cast iron welding..which most young
snots havent a clue doing. Can your guy weld?

He claims that he can weld, but I have not seen any of his work.

Dan

Gunner
__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.