Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Motorhead question

wrote:
So when I retire in a few years I want to build a sports car from
scratch. I have the equipment and knowhow except for the bodywork.
Which means I would get to butyand learn how to use an English wheel.
I don't know which engine to use though. So I'm looking for
opinions. I want to use a 4 cylinder engine. The engine needs to be
fairly common and parts must be available for hopping it up a bit and
for general rebuilding.
Very important the engine needs to look great. So I'm looking for
opinions here. A great looking engine that's fairly common, can be
hopped up some, and won't break the bank to work on.
Thanks,
Eric

Any particular brand or lack of electronics to deal with?

Not many that are really good looking.
The old iron duke 2.5 had some really hot parts available that could get
you 250-300 hp out of them as Pontiac super duty engines.
https://gafiero.akroncdnr.com/docs/IronDukeBuild.pdf

If you want something more modern you can have reliable and power but
I'd be hard pressed to call any of them good looking. Power parts wise
you would probably need to look at Honda or Toyota for lower cost parts.

As far as making the body, why not look at some of the body kits out
there for the kit cars. Or go take a few courses from someone like
www.lazzemetalshaping.com

--
Steve W.