Tom Baker

Default Deflecting Drywall Ceiling

"Michael Roback" wrote in message hlink.net...
I just did a remodel and have a tile guy doing a fireplace. When he did it,
I noticed where it met the ceiling that the ceiling is deflecting. In fact
a/2 of the room separated by a beam is deflecting and the stone now
accentuates this flaw. Is it normal for an older house for a newly
installed drywall ceiling to accentuate imperfections in the ceiling
framing. It was plastered before and I guess floated to compensate for
this. Is looks bad and I don't want to rip the ceiling down now that it is
painted and stone is applied. Any advice?

You have to live with it, unless you are willing to rebuild the ceiling.
Yes, it's normal for old buildings to be out of square.
And, you are correct in thinking the plaster often hid some uneven framing.
However, you didn't notice the condition until you looked carefully.
It's probable that others will not notice the condition.

TB