Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Seagate abandon remote access to their 'Central' NAS

On 16/10/2019 02:59, wrote:
Can I trouble someone to make a detailed list on how to gain remote
FTP access on the Seagate Central? I thought I set up everything
right, but I can only access the Seagate from within my network.
Once a try it while I'm outsite, the connection times out. I'm using
my external IP address when trying to connect but it's not working.
I do have a DNS host name from noip.com as well, but how do I set
this up on the Seagate Central?

What you need to do is to set up 'port redirection' or 'passthrough' on
your router so that ftp access requests to your external address is
redirected to the internal address of the seagate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is somewhat urgent.

Thanks! Nikki

I would point out that FTP uses two ports so you may need to redirect
port 20 as well as port 21.

Also FTP is just secured by a username+password sent in plain text
across the Internet.

If the seagate will accept sftp that is definitely preferred.

That runs on the ssh port of 22.