Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default good mineral oil removal?

On 2019/10/15 8:24 a.m., Jim Horton wrote:
In the midst of revamping an old electronic project where the high
voltage components were under oil.Â* There have been leaks and, upon
inspection today, I have determined that I would like to embed in
paraffin this time around (paraffin is what was originally recommended).
Â*However, I am left with mineral oil residue, not only on the
components to be wax embedded, but any spills, etc, and I'm wondering
what the best way is to remove it?Â* Thank you!

Perhaps mineral spirits - sometimes called Varsol if I am not mistaken -
will do the job.

https://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-mineral-spirits.htm

Is there a problem with coating the parts in wax even if they are still
coated in some residual oil? I expect the reason for the paraffin was to
waterproof the parts and as paraffin is just another form of oil would
it now work just fine all be it somewhat discoloured if the oil residue
dissolves into it? It just won't look as nice...

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com