Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default nails or screws?

On 10/14/2019 2:55 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/14/2019 1:39 PM, dpb wrote:
On 10/14/2019 11:06 AM, wrote:
On Monday, July 22, 2013 at 11:36:31 PM UTC-5, leza wang wrote:

Â*Â*Â* The question is "Can you use screws instead of nails on LP smart
Siding. "Â* After not seeing any intelligent answers to this question
I called LP (Louisiana Pacific) as there is no mention of screws in
the literature. YES- you can use screws, just be sure they are either
galvanized or stainless steel. Still need to penetrate 1.5 inch into
studs. Would be nice if they would put this in their literature. My
projects are small DIY at home things and I frequently disassemble to
re use or alter what I build, so I have stopped using nails as much
as possible. Also, good to know--Â* Smart Side is different from Hardi
as it is not a cement boared; it is an engineered wood product, so
much easier to work with using conventional wood tools.

Well, it's in the installation detail documents under alternative
fastening section p 3ff...

€¢Â*Â*Â* 38 Series Strand Substrate lap must be fastened with:
-MinimumÂ* #8 hot dip galvanized tapered head wood screw, spaced a
maximum of 12 inches (305 mm) o.c. or...
-Minimum 6d (0.092 inch shank diameter) hot-dipped galvanized ring
shank nail, spaced a maximum of 8 inches (203 mm) o.c.

€¢Â*Â*Â* 76 Series Strand Substrate lap must be fastened with:
-Minimum #8 hot dip galvanized tapered head wood screw, spaced a
maximum of 16 inches (406 mm) o.c. or...
-Minimum 6d (0.092 inch shank diameter) hot-dipped galvanized ring
shank nail, spaced a maximum of 12 inches o.c.

To me, that is saying "buy a nail gun"Â* I don't see that a 3" screw is
needed, but nailing will save a lot of time.

Indeed. We just finished residing the whole house plus the new entryway
w/ the product. Nailed, using nail gun. Driving nail by hand is
possible but difficult; the surface is hardened and so not like starting
nail in cedar or even fir siding--you gots to whack it hard which most
nonprofessionals can't do well starting.

We'll have to see how it holds up to SW KS weather...looks good
initially, anyways...