Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Junction box under floor

On 14/10/19 12:58, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I was connecting a cable to a junction box that I had fitted some years back and noticed the terminal screws though secure were not particularly tight which is unusual for me as my torque settings are normally one grunt + 1.

The junction box was fitted to a joist and it made me wonder if the act of walking over the floor at that point was causing enough vibration to ease the screws off? I it is the cause then it certainly makes the case for Wagos.

Richard

It's an interesting point. I wonder how Wagos would fare after 20 years?
Would they suffer from vibration-induced metal fatigue, and their spring
grip be lost? And as they aren't screwed down, would the terminal screws
have become loose if subjected to the same treatment? In other words, if
the screws had been in "flying" connector blocks, and so subject to
little - if any - vibration, would those have become loose?

Out of interest, why do the wiring regs require junction boxes to be
screwed down? They don't tend to move around with twin and earth cables
in them, anyway. Why would you expect them to move under floorboards or
in ceiling spaces?

--

Jeff