Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default alarm batteries

On 14/10/2019 08:57, alan_m wrote:
On 11/10/2019 21:14, Steve Walker wrote:

The rules were in place here before that act. People are more annoyed
than ever by noise now, so it seems unlikely that no council anywhere
has implemented such an area. It is up the the householder to check
whether they are in such an area when they install an alarm.

Have legislation doesn't necessarily reduce or eliminate the noise
nuisance. Unless the alternative keyholder is a highly trusted near
neighbour the alarm will still go off and probably stop sounding by the
time that a designated key holder turns up.

Yes, but many alarms re-trigger multiple times, so the nuisance can go
on for hours and without a registered keyholder, no-one knows who to
contact.

This is assuming that a home
alarm has been designed and set up for a sounding period of no more than
15 minutes.

20 minutes is the maximum allowed and there are probably few alarms left
that don't conform to that.

It also assumes that the alternative key holder knows how to
operate an alarm that that may not be familiar to them and that they
have been given the correct codes to disable the alarm.

In our case, my parents, who can be here within 5 minutes, have a key
(as they feed our cats when we are away and generally look after things
for us), have the same model of alarm and with one of our two codes the
same as the code on their alarm.

It is very unlikely that the Police will turn up to a domestic alarm
unless it is being monitored by a third party monitoring company.

They haven't done for years. The value (as long as you have an alarm
that doesn't give loads of false alarms) is that neighbours do look.

SteveW