Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general,sci.electronics.repair
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default Mouse Refurbish

Patrick wrote:
On 13/10/2019 08:55, Patrick wrote:
On 13/10/2019 01:57, MouseUser wrote:
My favorite mouse is acting up.
Buttons double-click on a single-click and sometimes do not click at
all.

I tried repeatedly tapping to try to clean but does not last.

Unfortunately this mouse is no longer available anywhere (at least at
a reasonable price).

Love it because of its size and it is USB (no batteries !).

Is it possible to do my own refurbishment ?
Suggestions ?
Links please !

Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse 3000

Thanks !

Two of the screws holding it together are hidden under the 'feet' as
shown here;
http://cordes.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-299.html

And another screw is hidden under the label !!

I use a magnetic wand and move it around the base
of items like this, to try to verify in advance
where the screws are hidden. There's nothing
more embarrassing than ripping rubber feet off
something and finding "air" underneath :-/ The
screws, being ferrous, can sometimes be located
with my screw retrieval wand. Sometimes the screws
are far enough away from the surface, this can barely
detect them.

https://www.amazon.com/SE-8036TM-NEW.../dp/B000RB3XBA

And the screw under the label, sometimes the label
already has a criss-cross cut pattern in it, to
make it easier for the philips screwdriver to get
at the screw.

A good mouse now, only uses one screw, and one
end of the mouse forms a hinge, and the other end
has the screw placed in it. But back in the rubber ball
mouse era, there could be three screws.

The screws are easy to find on one of these :-)
It was the Rambo of mice, because it had "steel balls".
The rubber ball mice that came after this, were a joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HawleyMarkIImice.jpg

When disassembling the mouse, be particularly wary
of the scroll wheel, as the parts may not be "retained"
and if you tip the mouse upside-down with the cover
off, all sort of junk and little springs will go flying.
The mouse cover, is what prevents that from happening
normally.

1) Remove screws from bottom of mouse.
2) Tip mouse upright, scroll wheel facing up.
3) Now, remove top cover with captive plastic mouse buttons.
4) Examine what is underneath. Note whether
scroll wheel is "booby trapped" to fall apart on you.

Paul