Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tube Testers?

On Sunday, 13 October 2019 01:19:38 UTC+1, John-Del wrote:
On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 3:45:58 PM UTC-4, tabby wrote:
On Saturday, 12 October 2019 19:30:38 UTC+1, Ralph Mowery wrote:

You may want to look into getting one of the roughly $ 20 component
testers from China. They do a good job of testing many solid state
devices, inductors, capacitors and resistors. Plenty of them on ebay.

Very handy little things. No reforming function as yet.

Won't be easy to reform caps without a wee bit more voltage than a 9V battery can supply. Besides, if a cap needs reforming, it's best to not use it.

a non-challenge to step it up onboard.

You never know it might appear one day, but I'm not optimistic. And the one I have can't do in-circuit testing, nor C versus V info. But it does give C, ESR & loss with a single button press.

I bought one because I couldn't resist it for the price, but I find it wildly inaccurate for low value resistance and low value capacitors. I found a calibration procedure on-line that uses a small value cap for a reference, but it only made it worse.

Does identify terminals in transistors accurately though.

No-one would accuse them of being quality items, but very handy nonetheless. I hear there is a new version now & then with ever more functionality.

NT